SteamOS 2.87 is an open source Valve’s Linux release based on Debian GNU with a wide range of wonderful features and options. This free download is a standalone DVD ISO image installer of Steam Linux.
SteamOS 2.87 Overview
All the other Linux releases are designed to provide higher security and manage simple tasks with reliability, SteamOS 2.87 is specifically designed for Steam Gaming based on Debian GNU. It provides a very friendly user interface through GNOME desktop environment. As its name, it has the Steam software to target the gaming users on Linux. For gamers, the thing which matters the most is the support for advanced graphics cards like ATI and Nvidia so provided by this Linux release. It also supports other high-end modern devices.
This wonderful release can also run all the Linux applications as a regular Linux OS. Steam Linux supports both the BIOS and UEFI machines so you will never find an incompatibility issue with this release. Although, you can not use it as a Live environment due to its advanced settings but it supports both the 32-bit and 64-bit architecture. There are two operating modes depending on the usage, first one for GNOME and other for Steam. In addition, there is a variety of free applications such as CD/DVD burning suite, Document viewer, Terminal and others.
Features of SteamOS 2.87
- Friendly GNOME Desktop Environment
- Built-in Steam gaming support
- Supports gaming graphics cards like ATI and Nvidia
- No incompatibility issues
- Supports both BIOS and UEFI
- Different built-in applications
- Brasero CD/DVD Burning tool
- Eye of GNOME image viewer
- Iceweasel Web Browser
- GNOME Dictionary
- GNOME Terminal
- Screenshot tool
- Evince Document Viewer
- Open Source Linux Release
- Many other advanced options and features
System Requirements for SteamOS 2.87
- Free Disk Space: Minimum 15 GB for installation
- Installed Memory: 4 GB of minimum RAM required
- Working USB Port
SteamOS 2.87 Free Download
Click the below link to download the standalone DVD ISO image of SteamOS 2.87 for both x86 and x64 architecture. It is the only Linux release for Steam Gaming.